Importer Wholesaler Requirements & Alcohol Export

Under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act and the regulations issued pursuant to (27 CFR [art 1), any person, except an agency of the State, or political subdivision, or any officer or employee of any such agency, intending to engage in the business of importing distilled spirits, wines, or beer for nonindustrial use is required to procure a permit.

Lindsey A. Zahn, Esq. is an alcohol beverage and food attorney at Lehman Beverage Law, PLLC. Ms. Zahn has previously counseled wine, beer, and spirits companies on licensing and compliance, federal and state labeling, customs regulations, supplier agreements, and advertising and promotions. She is an award-winning author on wine law, publishes a leading wine law blog called On Reserve, and has traveled to over a dozen wine regions in the U.S. and Europe.

John D. Messinger, Esq. is an attorney at Lehrman Beverage Law, PLLC. He joined the firm in 2006 as a law clerk, after working as an intern and consultant with the World Bank, Legal Operations and Policy. John focuses on TTB labeling and formulation matters and also state compliance issues.
John has a particular interest in beer and craft beer issues, and he is an avid small-scale brewer.

In this CLE class clip, Lindsey and John discuss the Importer Wholesaler Requirements & Alcohol Export.

Watch the Full Beer, Wine, & Spirits Law CLE Class

Anyone wishing to become a beverage alcohol importer, and import alcohol into the United States beverage alcohol not for personal use, and subsequently distribute the imported beverage alcohol to wholesalers, or retailers is require is required to obtain a basic importer permit. The basic importer permit must be obtained prior to the start of business operations.

Wholesalers are businesses that sell beverage alcohol at wholesale prices, to other wholesalers or retailers. A wholesaler is required to obtain a wholesaler’s basic permit prior to commencing business. Producers or manufacturers of beverage alcohol products are required to apply for a wholesale’s basic permit only if they intent to sell beverage alcohol products that they did not produce or manufacture.

Importer and Wholesaler Basic Requirements:

  • Address/Location
  • Ownership Information, Type of Company
  • Trade Names
  • Employer Identification Number
  • Driver’s License
  • Bank Statements or Source of Funds
  • Importers’ Letter of Intent or Contract from Foreign Supplier
  • Personal Questionnaire TTB Form 5000.9